Week in Mariner Sports
• Volleyball goes head to head with Seward at home at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 25, in the Mariner gym.
• Mariner football goes up against Kodiak in an away game on Saturday, Aug. 27.
• Cross-country running goes to the Bartlett Preview on Saturday, Aug. 27.
A week in review
• Homer was by far and away the class of the 1-2-3A teams on Saturday, Aug. 20 at the Tsalteshi Trails invite in Soldotna, sharing fourth place with Palmer on the girls side and taking fourth on the boys side.
• Megan Pitzman paced Homer at 19th.
• Homer’s Jared Brant led the peninsula by finishing 13th in 16:57, while teammate Jacob Davis was right behind in 16th.
• Homer’s top five were all under 18 minutes this year after just Brant was under 18 at Tsalteshi last season.
Football: Barrow defeats Homer, 47-6
• Pass by Jaime Rios completed to Joe Ravin for a 65-yard gain for a touchdown with 5:31 on the clock in the third quarter.
• Sean Love led Homer with 14 rushing yards in the game.
• The Mariners racked up 110 total yards of offense while Barrow rolled with 399.
Volleyball: Nikiski takes title at Homer Jamboree
• In round-robin play, Kenai beat Homer, 21-6 and 21-11. Nikiski then defeated Homer 21-15 and 21-5. Seward then topped Homer 22-20 and 21-14.
• Nikiski volleyball team won the title after defeating Kenai Central High 23-21 and 21-19.
A Facebook login using a real name is required for commenting. Respectful and constructive comments are welcomed. Abusers will be blocked and reported to Facebook.