Homer Solar Tour is Saturday
Homes and businesses using varieties of solar power are on tour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday for the Homer Alaska Solar Tour.
See first hand how people in Homer harness the power of the sun and other renewable energies, saving money, creating jobs and changing the world by living sustainably.
No registration is required and the tour sites are free. The tour is self guided, but be respectful of private property and stay within designated parking areas. The tour is sponsored by Sustainable Homer, Alaska Solar Tour (AST), and the American Solar Energy Society (ASES). It is AST’s 10th anniversary joining the ASES 23rd Annual National Solar Tour. For more information, call 299-4920. Tour sites include:
• Armstrong-Barnwell home, 410 Crestwood Circle. Photovoltaic panels.
• Dean Family Farm and Art Studios, 40374 Waterman Road. Solar thermal-wood boiler combi-system, solar thermal array.
• Downey-Garity residence, 961 S. Larkspur Circle. Photovoltaic panels.
• Fireweed Ridge Spirited Energy Ventures, Julia Bevins and Scott Waterman, 66625 Fry Court. Solar thermal, solar fence and straw bale home.
• Loopy Lupine, 4854 Eagle Place. 4,200 watt solar panel array on roof, passive solar air heating.
• Pat and Kathy Irwin’s house, 939 Ocean Drive Loop. Photovoltaic ground-mount systems.
• Sam Means’ house, 41080 Solstice Drive. Solar hot water flat plate, Buderus panels and natural gas.
• Sandy and Tom Early, 41263 Crested Crane Street, Kachemak City. Fixed solar panels on roof.
• Sustainable Homer, the Wagners, 2096 Jake’s Little Fireweed Lane. Two solar PV grid-intertied systems, one on a tracker, one on the roof; solar thermal evacuated tube system; green roof, energy efficiency measures in the house.
For more information about the Alaska Solar Tour, including etiquette and tour guidelines, visit www.alaskasolartour.com.
A Facebook login using a real name is required for commenting. Respectful and constructive comments are welcomed. Abusers will be blocked and reported to Facebook.