First sailing race of year attracts six boats and sunny weather
Sunny, beautiful weather with light winds welcomed in the Homer Yacht Club’s 2016 racing series Saturday, May 14 with the Cheechako Cup.
Six boats navigated by Homerites made way from the end of the Spit around Gull Island twice and returned to the Spit to finish. Captain Carlin Rauch on the Martha J lead most of the race only to be caught near the finish by Erik Pullman on Nereus. Martha J prevailed at the finish though, edging out Nereus by only 18 seconds after the handicaps were calculated.
Official finish order:
1. Martha J - Captain Carlin Rauch
2. Nereus - Captain Erik Pullman
3. Dolphin - Captain Rick Foster
4. Lula B - Captain Chris Young
5. Pegasus - Captain Johann Willrich
6. Dragonfly - Captain Dan Young