The Arts in Brief
HCOA presents Quixotic workshops
Quixotic, the Kansas City, Mo., performance group visiting for Salmonfest, conducts circus workshops next week at the Homer Council on the Arts. Workshops are presented in aerial fabric, dance trapeze and gym. Classes offered are:
• Aerial Fabric - Beginner (ages 8 and older): noon-1:30 p.m. Aug. 9, 10, 11, and 13. Fee: $175, HCOA members, $200, general
• Aerial Fabric - Intermediate: 1:45-3:15 p.m. Aug. 9, 10, 11, and 13. Fee: $175, HCOA members, $200, general
• Dance Trapeze (all ages/abilities): 3:30-5 p.m. Aug. 9, 10, 11, and 13; Fee: $175, HCOA members, $200, general
• Combo: Aerial Fabric and Dance Trapeze. Save money by registering for classes in both aerial fabric and dance trapeze. Fee: $325, HCOA members; $375 general. Scholarships are available.
• Open Gym, 8-10 p.m. Aug. 9, 10, and 11. Work with local teachers to hone skills from workshops; $20 per class.
All classes are in the Homer High School Mat Room. To register, call HCOA at 235-4288.
Pier One offers play readings
Pier One offers “Valdez Exports: New Plays from the Last Frontier Theater Conference,” a potpourri of play readings this weekend, with a different selection of plays each night. Showing at 7:30 p.m. each night are
• Thursday, “Elephant: A Comedy,” by Ivan Faute
• Friday, “Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally,” by Kevin Armento; “Reaching Beatrice,” by Joy Cutler; and “Quadro,” by Kate Rich.
• Saturday, “Fishtail,” by Jessica Williams; “Star League,” by Tom Moran, “Accumulation,” by Kate Rich, “Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally,” by Kevin Armento; and “Ethel and Joe at the Empire State,” by Linda Ayres-Frederick. Tickets are $12 general, $11 senior, $10 Raven, $8 youth (adult content) or $30 for 3-day pass and $25 for Ravens, on sale at the Homer Bookstore and at the door.
A Facebook login using a real name is required for commenting. Respectful and constructive comments are welcomed. Abusers will be blocked and reported to Facebook.