Weekly high school sports highlights
• Volleyball faces Nikiski at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2, in the Mariner gym. Wear blue and gold for “We Blled Blue and Gold Night.”
• Swim and dive hold their first event of the season, the triathlon fundraiser at 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 3.
• Football plays Juneau on the turf at 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 3.
• Cross-country running goes to the Palmer Invite on Saturday, Sept. 3.
Aug. 27: Homer at Bartlett Cross-Country State Preview
• Homer girls took third in team standing.
• Megan Pitzman came in 19th, Audrey Rosencrans came in 22nd, followed by Lauren Evarts in 25th, Autumn Daigle in 26th and Alex Moseley in 35th.
• Homer boys team finished in fourth-place.
• Jacob Davis finished in 11th place, Jordan Beachy finished 25th, followed by Jared Brant in 30th, Luciano Fasulo in 35th and Dexter Lowe in 41st.
Aug. 27: Homer vs. Kodiak
Final score: 56-32, Kodiak
1st quarter: 15 13
2nd quarter: 9 14
3rd quarter: 0 8
4th quarter: 8 21
• Joe Ravin receives a 21-yard pass from Teddy Croft for a touchdown with 8:47 minutes on the clock in the first quarter.
• Croft scores a touchdown with a 9-yard run with 2:22 minutes left in the first quarter. Oliver Beck kicked the extra point.
• Beck scores a field goal from 30 yards with 8:15 minutes left in the second quarter.
• Croft scores a touchdown with a 6-yard run with 13 seconds remaining in the second quarter.
• Croft runs 4 yards to score a touchdown with 7:44 minutes left on the clock in the fourth quarter.
• Homer made 17 first downs to Kodiak’s 13. The Mariners had 188 rushing yards and 202 passing yards, while Kodiak had 324 rushing and 129 passing.
• Croft led the team with 100 rushing yards and Sean Love with 71 yards.
Aug. 27: Voznesenka vs. Houston
Final score: 40-6, Houston
Aug. 30: Homer vs. Kenai
Final score: 3-0, Kenai
Game 1: 11 25
Game 2: 11 25
Game 3: 18 25
• Mary Hana Bowe led the Mariners with nine kill points.
• Raisa Basargin finished with nine serve points.
• Homer made its strongest bid in the third game, getting off to a 6-1 lead capped by a serve point by Basargin.
Aug. 23: Homer vs. Seward
Final score: 3-1, Seward
Game 1: 20 25
Game 2: 25 22
Game 3: 22 25
Game 4: 18 25
• “They played super aggressively today,” said Mariner head volleyball coach Kristie Mastre. “They get too scared to hit the ball because they don’t want to make a mistake, which makes sense but I want them to hit the ball because we have strong hitters.”
• When Mary Hana Bowe hit the ball to the back of Seward’s court with so much force that none of Seward’s players got a hand on it, Mastre could be heard yelling, “That’s how you do it, Mary Hana Bowe!”