Weekly sports highlights
• Swim and dive competes at Kenai on Sept. 16 at 3 p.m. for dive and Sept. 17 at 10 a.m. for swim.
• Varsity volleyball travels to Grace on Sept. 16 for a game at 6:30 p.m., followed by a game against ACS on Sept. 17 at 2:30 p.m.
• Varsity cross-country running runs on the Homer Spit at 11 a.m. Sept. 17.
• Mariner football travels to play Nikiski at 2 p.m. Sept. 17.
Sept. 10: Homer at Kodiak Abercrombie Invitational
• Homer boys and girls teams took first place at the meet over the weekend. Both teams finished with scores of 29.
• Megan Pitzman led the girls team in the 5K race with a time of 20:27 and a first-place finish. Audrey Rosencrans finished third with a time of 20:46 and Autumn Daigle finished fourth with a time of 20:49. Lauren Evarts finished in 10th place with a time of 22:05.
• Jordan Beachy finished first among the Homer boys, earning third place in the 5K with a time of 17:22. Jared Brant came in after Beachy in fourth place with a time of 17:24, followed by Luciano Fasulo in fifth place with a time of 17:24 and Jacob Davis in sixth with a time of 17:30.
• Homer topped off the relay category with teams placing in first, second, and seventh. Brant, Pitzman, Rosencrans and Beachy were in the first place relay team with a total time of 23:14, while Davis, Evarts, Daigle and Fasulo were in the second place relay team with a cumulative time of 23:24.
Sept 10: Homer vs. Seward
Final score: 22-14, Seward
1st quarter: 0 0
2nd quarter: 0 0
3rd quarter: 0 22
4th quarter: 14 0
• Homer rose up and scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, signaling a potential for a late-game comeback. However, the Mariners were not able to score after the second touchdown to tie up the game.
• Jack Heimbold caught a pass from Jaime Rios, made a 5-yard gain and scored a touchdown with 11:10 on the clock in the fourth quarter.
• Joe Ravin made a 69-yard gain after catchign a pass from Jaime Rios and scored a touchdown with 8:21 on the clock. Homer scored a two-point conversion with a pass from Jaime rios to Joe Ravin.
• Homer completed 10 passes out of 24 attempts and gained a total of 166 passing yards in the game.
• Homer gained a total of 15 rushing yards to Seward’s 218. Jaime Rios led the team with 11 rushing yards, followed by Levi King with 8, and Sean Love with 7.
Sept 10: Voznesenka vs. Valdez
Final score: 60-14, Valdez
Swim and Dive
Sept. 9: Diving: Homer Invite
• Mariner diver Rhythm places second out of three for girls diving with a final score of 155.9, while Annalyn Brown took second with score of 153.5. Kenai Central High School diver Mikaela Pitsch took first place with a score of 192.65.
• Mariner diver Spencer Warren placed third out of four for the boys diving event with a final score of 180.65. Kylin Welch of Soldotna High School took first place with a score of 236.45.
Sept. 10: Swimming: Homer Invite
• The Homer Mariners girls team came in fourth out of six teams with 44 points. Kodiak’s girls won first place with 123 points.
• Lauren Kuhns placed first in the 200 IM with a time of 2:23.09 and first in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:14.45.
• The Homer boys team scored fourth as well with 9 points. Kodiak’s boys took first place with 168 points.
Sept 9: Homer vs. Nome
Final score: 3-1, Nome
Game 1: 15 25
Game 2: 16 25
Game 3: 25 20
Game 4: 13 25
Sept 9: Homer vs. Kotzebue
Final score: 3-0, Kotzebue
Game 1: 8 25
Game 2: 21 25
Game 3: 15 25
Sept 10: Homer vs. Nome
Final score: 3-0, Nome
Game 1: 20 25
Game 2: 16 25
Game 3: 19 25
Sept 10: Homer vs. Kotzebue
Final score: 3-2, Kotzebue
Game 1: 23 25
Game 2: 25 19
Game 3: 25 23
Game 4: 19 25
Game 5: 11 15