Homer Foundation announces scholarships; deadline April 13
The Homer Foundation manages permanently endowed scholarship funds that provide approximately $20,000 in annual awards to area students for a variety of educational endeavors. Scholarships that are currently available include:
1) Alain and Daniel Rieser Scholarship for foreign language study/travel;
2) Homer Community Science Scholarship supporting post-secondary education in the life sciences;
3) Health Care Providers Scholarship supporting students serious in pursuing a career in health care. Also available to students who have graduated from high school in prior years;
4) Drew Scalzi Memorial Maritime Scholarship supporting students of fishing families and/or students wishing to pursue a career in Alaska’s maritime industry;
5) Diane Wambach “Shoot for the Stars” Scholarship supporting education and training for young people with a plan to pursue their dream;
6) Kachemak Bay Medical Clinic Scholarship supporting students with outstanding academic achievements and a strong work ethic;
7) Beluga Tail &BelugaTale Writing Scholarships providing awards in both creative and nonfiction writing;
8) Bill and Liz Johnson Teacher Education Scholarship, supporting students choosing education as a career;
9) Nikki Geragotelis (Fry) Memorial Scholarship is awarded to students that exemplify Nikki’s sportsmanship, athleticism, integrity and hard-working nature;
10) Ptarmigan Arts Visual Arts Scholarship provides financial support for materials and supplies, training opportunities, or college tuition to encourage and assist local high school students to further their education in the visual arts.
Applications may be downloaded from the website, www.homerfoundation.org, or picked up at the Homer Foundation or the Homer High School Counselor’s office. The application deadline is 4 p.m., Thursday, April 13.
Contact the Homer Foundation for more information, or if you are interested in establishing a scholarship fund or contributing to one of our existing scholarship funds, 235-0541 or email@example.com.
The Homer Foundation currently manages 41 different funds. All foundation assets are pooled for investment purposes and the earnings distributed back to the community for charitable purposes. Managing scholarship funds is only one of the many ways the Foundation supports our community.
A Facebook login using a real name is required for commenting. Respectful and constructive comments are welcomed. Abusers will be blocked and reported to Facebook.