Nutcracker tickets now on sale at bookstore
Tickets have gone on sale for the annual Nutcracker Ballet. Shows are 3 and 7:30 p.m. Dec. 5, 3 p.m. Dec. 6, 7:30 p.m. Dec. 11 and 3 p.m. Dec. 12. All seats are $10. Tickets are on sale at the Homer Bookstore and will be on sale at the Nutcracker Faire on Dec. 5 and 6.
Artists, arts groups
receive state grants
Several lower Kenai Peninsula artists and arts groups have received grants this year from the Alaska State Council on the Arts. Homer artist Marie Alexson also was added to the Statewide Teaching Artist roster. In reports released this week for the first and second quarters of 2015, about $540,000 in grants statewide, grants have been awarded to the following:
• Homer Council on the Arts, operating support, $11,050; Helen Walker arts grant, $500; Harper Arts touring grant, $10,270;
• Bunnell Street Arts Center, operating support, $8,525; workshop grant, $950; artist in schools grant, $13,174; Harper Arts touring grant, $1,500;
• Homer Society of Natural History-Pratt Museum, operating support, $21,000;
• Seldovia Arts Council, community arts development, $3,500; cultural collaborations grant, $1,630;
• McNeil Canyon Elementary School, artist in schools grant, $1,826;
• Asia Freeman, career opportunity grant, $800; and
• John Bushell, career opportunity grant, $800.
seeks Alaska photos
The Anchorage Symphony ends its 70th Anniversary season with “My Alaska: North of Ordinary,” a visual and musical feast of captivating images. The evening will open with images of Iceland by Nicholas Bardonnay of Westwater Arts choreographed to Hovhaness’ Mysterious Mountain and follow with images of Alaska choreographed to Copland’s Tender Land Suite and projected above the symphony during the performance.
The symphony seeks photos for the performance that respond to these questions: What makes our beautiful home “North of Ordinary”? Is it spectacular panoramas? Abundant wildlife? Auroras? Darkness? Midnight sun? A land both beautiful and harsh? Soothing and dangerous? Is it our people? Are we independent? Rebels? Pioneers? Quirky? Friendly? Reclusive? Urban? Rural? Fun? Boring? Adventurous? Determined? Survivors? Adaptive? What compels us to be here?
Photographers are invited to submit images for the performance. The deadline for submissions is Dec. 1. More information, specs and submission instructions can be found at http://anchoragesymphony.instantencore.com/web/page.aspx?title=Your+Images.
Photos selected will be shown at the ASO April 2 and 3 season finale concerts. For more information, call the ASO office at 274-8668 or email ASO@YourASO.org.