Years Ago

20 years ago

Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly member Drew Scalzi told supporters of the proposed Greater Kachemak Fire and Emergency Medical Service Area it must demonstrate it can pay its own way, or that the City of Homer would be willing to provide contract services, before a ballot measure to create it went to voters. Scalzi made his comments at an assembly meeting in Seldovia. The assembly voted to introduce an ordinance that will put the question of creating a new fire and EMS service area before the voters at the Oct. 3, 2000, election.

— From the issue of July 20, 2000

30 years ago

A new Episcopal minister, Deacon Fran Ray, arrived to lead St. Augustine’s Church. Ray was the first woman religious leader assigned to a church in the Homer area. Ray graduated from Yale Divinity School, New Haven, Connecticutt, and planned on being a priest.

— From the issue of July 19, 1990

50 years ago

Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Reber donated 2.76 acres of land to the City of Homer as a memorial park in honor of Mrs. Reber’s father, Walter R. Bell, an early homesteader. The land is in Section 18 West of the Fair Grounds (now Karen Hornaday Park) north of Fairview Avenue. Mr. Bell’s grave is on the property.

Silt build up in the boat basin of the Ninilchik harbor threatened unloading of the red-salmon harvest at the Ninilchik Cannery barge. The silt reduced the basin depth to just a few inches at low tide. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers authorized funds for emergency dredging.

— From the issue of July 16, 1970

More in Community

Pet of the Week: Willow

Willow is a 3-year-old female Alaskan Malamute. She’s a big gal with… Continue reading

Cops and Courts

Information about fire, police and troopers is taken from public records consisting… Continue reading

Elmer James Banta

Elmer James Banta July 25, 1921 - July 25, 2020 Longtime Alaskan… Continue reading

Tammy Hagan

Tammy Hagan May 19, 1960 - July 19, 2020 Tammy Hagan, 60,… Continue reading

Nancy Marie Chastain

Nancy Marie Chastain June 7, 1944 - July 15, 2020 Nancy Chastain,… Continue reading

Robert James Austin

Robert James Austin Sept. 23, 1932 - July 24, 2020 Robert James… Continue reading

Town Crier

The South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area Board will hold its regular… Continue reading

Matilda Fae Malcolm Wertz

Matilda Fae Malcolm Wertz was born at 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 3,… Continue reading

Years Ago

20 years ago The first Homer Farmers Market was held on Aug.… Continue reading

Most Read