Anchor Point Fire & EMS firefighters saved a home from a chimney fire last Friday.
According to a press release, firefighters and Alaska State Troopers responded to the blaze at about 7:15 p.m. on April 5 at a Long Gone Avenue home in Anchor Point. No one was injured. Firefighters found a two-story home with a chimney fire that extended to the exterior wall, with flames showing through the roof. Anchor Point responded with an engine, tanker, ambulance, and command and utility vehicles. Ninilchik Emergency Services also responded with an engine and tanker and five firefighters.
Crews knocked down the exterior fire quickly and kept it from going into the interior of the house, the release states. The fire did not cause smoke or fire damage to the interior, although there was water damage.
The homeowner told first responders that the fire was believed to be caused by an animal’s nest too close to the chimney. Heat from the chimney likely caused the nest to catch on fire, which then extended up the exterior wall and into the roof.