Lack of snow isn’t enough to stop Anchor Point residents when it comes to their annual Snow Rondi. Snow or no snow, the Rondi kicks off Saturday morning and events are planned through Sunday.
The theme — “let loose” — is the perfect reminder that when it comes to fun this time of year, Homer’s neighbors to the north know snow is not a requirement. Just ask Dan Coe, president of the Anchor Point Chamber of Commerce, organizer of the annual event.
“I thought I could just be like the queen and smile and wave, but there’s more to it than that,” said Coe of any thought this might be the winter, snow free as it is, that the community might choose to sit out the Rondi season.
Among the activities too fun to miss is the pinewood derby held at Chapman School. Entrants from youngsters through adult can buy the materials to make a car for $5 each or pay a $4 entry fee to use one of their own. Cars are raced in three categories: pre-kindergarten through third-graders, fourth- through eighth-graders; ninth-graders through adults.
“They’re also judged on best paint job, most unique and most creative, with first, second and third in each age group,” said Debbie Poindexter, who helps organize the family-focused derby.
Going on at the school at the same time will be a silent auction of mostly handcrafted items, with the auction benefiting the Anchor Point Imagination Library.
Not happening this year is the popular Sunday afternoon dog show, a benefit for the Homer Animal Shelter. The event is in need of a location other than the Chapman School gym. If one is found, it can be added back to next year’s schedule.
At right is a list of planned events. Some don’t need snow; some do; some can be adapted to any condition, only needing fun-seeking participants.
Anchor Point Snow Rondi Schedule of Events
• Community breakfast, Anchor Point Senior Center, 9–11 a.m.
• Snow Rondi Parade, lineup at Tesoro at 10 a.m., parade begins 10:30 a.m.
• Pinewood Derby, Chapman School, weigh in 10 a.m., derby begins 11 a.m.
• Ski biathlon, end of School Street, 11:30 a.m.
• Snowshoe biathlon, end of School Street, 11:45 a.m.
• Adult archery and turkey shoot, Chapman School, noon
• Youth ski race, end of School Street, 12:30 p.m.
• Hockey slap shot, Chapman School, 1 p.m.
• Youth archery, Chapman School, 2 p.m.
• Snowshoe race, end of School Street, 2:30 p.m.
• Team ski and sled pull, end of School Street, 2:45 p.m.
• Al Garbe kids coin hunt, ages up to 10, 3:15 p.m.
• Kids snowshoe toss, Chapman School, 3:30 p.m.
• Awards and button winner, Anchor Point Chamber of Commerce, 4 p.m.
• Community breakfast, Anchor Point Senior Center, 9-11 a.m.
• Gun safety meeting, gun range, 10 a.m.
• Mountain Man Classic, gun range, 11 a.m.
• Snowmachine activities, Griner pit, 1-4 p.m.
• Community fish fry, VFW Post 10221, 4 p.m.