Volunteers last Saturday collected about 800 bags of trash and 50 bags of recyclable trash during the annual Homer Community Clean Up sponsored by the Homer Chamber of Commerce &Visitor Center.
People also donated about 115 pounds of meat, fish and nonperishable food to the Homer Community Food Pantry. The chamber said a snowier winter kept more trash buried and exposed more as the snow melted.
Above, Emily Berg throws trash into a Dumpster. At right center, Bernadette Gradney, left, unloads recyclable cardboard as Marie McCarty and Tom Early help. At right, bottom, Dennis Dustin of the Kachemak Bay Lions Club serves hot dogs. At bottom, the First Place Family winners in the clean up pose with a wagon load of trash they picked up last Saturday. From left to right are Douglas Wrenn, a friend who helped, Jenny Lemieux, Dianne Lemieux-Pietrowski and Henry Lemieux.
Prizes were awarded to groups and individuals for collecting the most trash and recycables. The winners are:
• First place, nonprofit group: Boy Scouts Troop 365.
• Second place, nonprofit group: Heartbeat of Homer.
• First place, individual: Karen West.
• First place, most recyclables: Bowman family.
• Second place, most recyclables Gustufson family.
• First place, family: Diane, Jenny and Herny Lemieux Pietrowski family.