Fatal fire ruled accidental

The State Fire Marshal has ruled as accidental the June 13 fire that killed Paul Baylink, 46, at his Rainbow Court home. In a press release on Aug. 7, Homer Police said the fire was caused by discarded smoking materials. 

Baylink died in the house fire in downtown Homer on the morning of June 13. A neighbor called in the fire about 10:40 a.m. When firefighters arrived, the northeast corner of the home where the fire started was fully engulfed in flames. A neighbor who lives across the street tried to enter the home, but had to turn back because of smoke.

The first three responding Homer Volunteer Fire Department firefighters also attempted to save Baylink and even waived a safety rule requiring two firefighters to be outside when two go inside. Firefighters knocked the fire down and found Baylink’s body in a hallway outside a bedroom. Homer Police Chief Mark Robl had said earlier it appeared Baylink was trying to escape the fire. 

Michael Armstrong can be reached at michael.armstrong@homernews.com.