The Homer Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center has announced the appointment of Karen Zak as its new executive director. Zak is a 15-year resident and business owner in Homer and brings a wealth of knowledge of Homer and tourism industry, the chamber said Monday in a press release.
“I love promoting Homer businesses, tourism and all our wonderful community has to offer. I am thrilled to be a part of the team and execute the mission of the chamber,” said Zak in the press release.
Zak has more than 25 years of management experience in the travel and hospitality industry, including marketing, sales and conference-event management.
The Homer Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center’s board of directors includes:
• Keri-Ann Baker of Little Alaska Shack, three-year term expiring December 2017;
• Amanda Miotke of Amanda Miotke Realtor, three-year term expiring December 2017;
• Dave Rush of Homer Air, three-year term expiring December 2017;
• Melanie Dufour of Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies, three-year term expiring December 2016;
• Alita Mahan of Alaska USA Credit Union, three-year term expiring December 2016;
• Mike Barth of State Farm Insurance, board treasurer, three-year term expiring December 2015;
• Mike Dye of Land’s End Resort, board vice president, three-year term expiring December 2015;
• Adrienne Sweeney of Driftwood Inn and AJ’s OldTown Steakhouse and Tavern, three-year term expiring December 2015;
• Tom Stroozas of Americas Cuisine, board president, appointed to three-year term expiring December 2016;
• Robert Letson of South Peninsula Hospital, board secretary, appointed to a three-year term expiring December 2015.
Katie Koester, the city of Homer’s community and economic development coordinator, and Derotha Ferraro of South Peninsula Hospital hold advisory seats. Don Cotogno of Timber Bay Bed and Breakfast is the gaming member-in-charge.
The chamber is hosting several upcoming events, including the annual Homer Winter Carnival, which begins today. For a full schedule of events, see page 14.
On Feb. 17, Interim City Manager Marvin Yoder will speak at the chamber luncheon.
The luncheon begins at noon at Alice’s. An optional lunch is available for $12. The luncheon is for members only.
On Feb. 19, Land’s End Resort will host the chamber’s Business After Hours mixer. It will be from 5-6:30 p.m. at Land’s End. The public is invited.