Recently, we went through an ordeal where we nearly lost our golden retriever, Izzy, and I would like to share it with others so that they might not have to go through the same thing we did, or to be able to recognize symptoms and get their pet help.
My husband was walking up the driveway to get the newspaper one morning with the dog. She was out of his sight for 3-4 minutes before she came back to his call. Within a short time, she began staggering around and acting “out of it.”
This progressed until she could barely walk. So, off to the Homer Veterinary Clinic where her blood was tested, and X-rays were done. Nothing was found. After fluids were given, we took her home for observation. By that late afternoon, she was unable to be roused. Back to the vet, where Dr. Dean tried her best to figure out what was wrong.
Izzy was kept at the vet clinic, and Dr. Dean was not sure she was going to make it through the night. Dr. Dean tried all she could to figure this out. Finally, after two days of care and medications, Izzy finally started to recover without anyone knowing what was causing her problem.
I began thinking about what could be wrong, and remembered a similar episode where dogs had gotten into marijuana and were disoriented and ill. I decided to get a kit for testing urine for opiates and marijuana. Bingo! She tested positive for THC.
We have no idea where she got it, but would just like to caution everyone to be extremely careful with where they leave their stash, their baked goods made with marijuana, or grow their plants. Not only can this be toxic to children, but animals love to eat it. I would not want anyone to go through this same thing.
We are extremely lucky to still have our Izzy.
I hope and pray that no one else will have to go through this or lose their pet because of injesting marijuana.
I would like to take this time to thank Dr. Dean and all the staff at the Homer Veterinary Clinic for all of their care and compassion. You were all wonderful.