This year, the first baby born in Homer in 2020 was so excited to arrive that she didn’t feel it necessary to wait for her mom to get to the hospital.
Ariyana Carlson — 5 pounds, 9 ounces — was born at home at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 2, delivered with the help of medics from the Homer Volunteer Fire Department. She and her family arrived at South Peninsula Hospital’s birthing center by 8:30 p.m., according to Derotha Ferraro, director of public relations and marketing for the hospital.
Stephanie Cozadd-Pearson, Ariyana’s mother, said her labor was progressing and she and partner Jasiah Carlson, the father, were waiting for a cab to take them to the hospital. Before it ever arrived, Cozadd-Pearson said she realized her daughter was on her way more quickly than she originally thought.
“I was waiting on the cab,” she said. “I was like, never mind the cab, call 911. … I couldn’t even stand up.”
Medics from Homer Volunteer Fire Department arrived and helped Cozadd-Pearson deliver Ariyana in her bed at home before taking her to the hospital.
“They did really, really well,” she said.
“It was like a rescue team came in and swarmed the bed,” Carlson said.
“They were really helpful,” Cozadd-Pearson added. “They kept me calm, that’s for sure.”
This is Cozadd-Pearson’s fourth child and Carlson’s first. It’s her first experience having a New Year’s baby, though.
The pair settled on the name Ariyana because of the ties to spirituality in its meaning, Cozadd-Pearson said. Ariyana is healthy and the family was expecting to return home on Saturday. Cozadd-Pearson said she wanted to have her checked out at the hospital because she arrived a little early at 34 weeks.
Local businesses and groups generally donate gifts each year for the first baby born in 2020. Having never had a New Year’s baby before, Cozadd-Pearson said she was surprised and appreciated the gifts.
New Year’s Baby 2020 Gift List
• Best Western Bidarka Inn: One night stay in hot tub room.
• Mary Wallis: Hand sewn receiving blankets, burp cloths, and wash cloths.
• The Homer Bookstore: $25 gift certificate
• Sprout Family Services: Play Group punchcards, dvd’s, books
• Ulmer’s Drug and Hardware: Swaddle, book, toy, toothbrush set, snot sucker, onesie
• Two Sisters Bakery: 6 inch cake
• South Peninsula Hospital Auxiliary: Penguin sleeper, diapers, receiving blankets, fuzzy blanket, Happy New Year’s Baby Tee
• Spenard Builders Supply: Carbon Monoxide detector, outlet caps, oven safety latch, fire suppressant, and various other items.
• Salty Dawg Saloon: Baby onesie
• Grog Shop: Bottle of champagne
• Scott’s Family Pharmacy: Pampers diapers, Johnson’s Baby Lotion, Johnson’s Baby Powder, Aromatherapy Lavender Bubble Bath, Dr. Smith’s Diaper Ointment
• Homer’s Jeans: Carhartt Baby Overalls