Nov. 24 fire damages Seldovia school shop

An early morning fire on Nov. 24, in the Susan B. English School shop in Seldovia appears to have been caused by spontaneous combustion due to rags in a garbage can, according to a Nov. 26 press release issued by the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District. 

There were no injuries; the fire was an accident.

The shop is in a building separate from the school. Classes remained in session.

The fire caused water, smoke and soot damage. The extent of any structural damage remains unknown. The building is currently being stabilized, with restoration of heat the main focus.

There is no access to the building at this time, with the exception of Kenai Peninsula Borough maintenance or other authorized personnel.

This week, structural assessment and analysis, capital projects, planning operations and insurance representatives will begin damage assessment and develop the scope of repairs needed for the building, including asbestos analysis.

No decision has been made concerning the future of the building. Financial estimates for the damage are not available. 

KPBSD will provide a community update once all assessments are made. 

“KPBSD is very thankful to the city employee who saw flames and called the Volunteer Fire Department. Further thanks extentthe VFD who responded swiftly to fight the fire,” Pegge Erkeneff, KPBSD communications specialist, said in the press release.