The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services has issued a parylitic shellfish poisoning alert for Kachemak Bay. Potentially toxic algae has been found in increased numbers in the bay, and health officials suspect at least one person has become ill. Clams, mussels, cockles and other shellfish harvested in Kachemak Bay may not be safe to eat. Commercially grown oysters are tested weekly and if are available for sale have tested safe for consumption.
Symptoms of PSP include tingling of the lips, face or fingertips; numbness in the arms or legs, and difficulty breating. PSP can be fatal. If symptoms are experienced, seek immediate medical care.