Two Homer men charged with harassment in a September 2012 Homer teen drinking party incident appear at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, March 12, at the Homer Courthouse for a combined change-of-plea and sentencing hearing. Anthony Resetarits, 22, and Joseph Resetarits, 20, both face charges of second-degree harassment. Anthony Resetarits also faces felony charges of first-degree hindering prosecution and tampering with felony evidence.
The two men had earlier been charged with second-degree sexual assault, but Kenai Superior Court Judge Carl Bauman dismissed those charges in August 2014 after he ruled on a motion that the state provided insufficient evidence to support an indictment. The new charges were filed in late December last year.
The men had reached a plea agreement with the state and had intended to plead guilty to the new charges at a Jan. 28 hearing. However, their attorneys said then there was an amendment to the information to be sent to Bauman before the sentencing that they wanted to review.
In charging documents filed in October 2012, Alaska State Troopers said that a teenage boy then 17 had been sexually assaulted with an object at a Sept. 8, 2012, party at an East End Road home. About 60 to 80 teenagers and young adults attended the party. The latest charges allege that the Resetarits brothers harassed the boy.
Today’s hearing will include a change-of-plea in which the defendants are expected to plead guilty to the latest charges followed by a sentencing hearing. Both defendants said in January they intend to be physically present for today’s hearing and sentencing. The victim’s mother also said earlier she intends to be at the hearing.
Michael Armstrong can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.