Homer High School
• Hockey plays at the Peninsula Challenge vs. Kenai on Nov. 3-5.
• Swim and dive attend state championships in Juneau on Nov. 4-5.
• Volleyball travels to the region championships in Houston on Nov. 4-5.
• Girls wrestling competes in a dual meet against Edgecumbe at the ACS on Nov. 3. The entire team then attends the ACS Invitational on Nov. 4-5.
Homer High School
Swim and dive
The Mariner swim and dive team competed in the Region III Swimming and Diving Championships at Kodiak High School on Friday, Oct. 28, and Saturday, Oct. 29.
The boys team placed eighth out of nine teams with six points. Kodiak’s boys team took first place.
The Homer girls team placed in fifth place out of seven teams with a total of 24 points. Soldotna’s girls team won first place.
• Lauren Kuhns took first place in the girls 500 freestyle with a time of 5:21.42 and second in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:14.28.
• Alia Bales placed second in the 100 freestyle with a time of 1:00.00.
• Teddy Handley placed second in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:00.20 and third in the 50 freestyle with a time of 24.37 in the consolation finals.
Varsity volleyball lost one and won one over the weekend in games against Houston on Friday, Oct. 28 and Redington on Saturday, Oct. 29.
• Homer vs. Houston: 0-3, Houston.
• Homer vs. Redington: 3-0, Homer.
Homer High’s wrestling team took third place at the Monster Mash Duals at South High in Anchorage on Friday, Oct. 28 and Saturday, Oct. 29. Colony placed first and Wasilla was second. The Mariners were the only 3A school at the meet.
“Homer’s dual with Colony featured many to the top two wrestlers in the state in their various weight classes. Even though Colony won the overall team score 45-22, Homer picked up big individual wins,” said head coach Chris Perk.
• Wayne Newman, currently undefeated at 17-0, took the #2 ranked 4A wrestler down in a 15-4 major decision.
• Luciano Fasulo beat Sam Sisco at 126 pounds. Sisco was a state champion two years ago. Fasulo was able to ride Sisco most of the match winning 7-3.
• Freshman Mose Hayes showed improvement. He was down 2-0 to Daniel Colley when he mounted a comeback and won in overtime 7-5.
• Jared Brant beat Levi Hopkins last years 120 pound state champion.
• Homer defeated Dimond 47-18, Palmer 43-26, Service 54-21, Eagle River 66-21, and South 61-24.
• Homer lost to Lathrop 38-37, Wasilla 45-36, and Colony 45-22.
• Wayne Newman was 8-0 at weight class 106
• Luciano Fasulo was 8-0 at weight class 126
• Jared Brant was 8-0 at weight class 138
• Timmy Woo went 7-1 at weight class 160/170
• Tristen Cook went 7-1 at weight class 182
• Kyle Wells went 7-0 at weight class 195.