Wasteland Hop plays Friday at Alice’s
Fort Collins, Colo., folk-rock-hip hop band Wasteland Hop plays at 9 p.m. Friday at Alice’s Champagne Palace. The band describes itself as “the soulful pourings of Janis Joplin interlaced with the cerebral speech of Aesop Rock.” Fronted by lead vocalist Steph Jay and emcee Mickey Kenny, the six-member band also includes Nick Scheidies on guitar, keyboards and vocals, Liz Gaylor on five-string violin and vocals, Brian Weikel on bass and vocals, and Adam Fallik on drums.
The Homer tour is part of its Greater Glacier and Equator Saga, with visits to the Sitzmark in Girdwood, and tours in California, Colorado and Ecuador.
Wasteland Hop last played Homer in 2011.
“We are really excited to have them,” said Alice’s manager Josh Tobin. “They really sound amazing, and bring to Homer a genre of music that we don’t often get.”
Admission is $10. For more information and music samples, visit the Wasteland Hop website at www.wastelandhop.com.
April is Jubilee Month
The Homer Council on the Arts celebrates Jubilee Month in April, with gallery exhibits, performance and scholarships for intensive study in the student’s genre of choice. Students in grades K-12 are encouraged to submit original works of art, in any medium, for entrance into HCOA’s month-long gallery exhibit. Auditions for the Jubilee Youth Performing Arts Show take place in mid-April, with the final performance scheduled at the Mariner Theatre on April 22. For more information, contact HCOA at 235-4288. Upcoming deadlines are:
• March 25: Jubilee art due for exhibit
• April 1: Scholarship applications due
• April 6, 7: Scholarship interviews, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• April 11: Jubilee performance audition applications due
• April 13: Jubilee auditions and scholarship dance adjudication, 3:30-6:30 p.m., Mariner Theatre
• April 14: Selectees posted at HCOA
• April 20, 21: Jubilee rehearsals, Mariner Theatre
• April 22: Jubilee performance and scholarships announced