Brothers plead not guilty

  • By MICHAEL ARMSTRONG and RASHAH MCCHESNEY
  • Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:27pm
  • NewsLocal News

KENAI — In an unusual arraignment hearing held Tuesday afternoon at the Kenai Courthouse, two brothers charged with harassment in a September 2012 Homer teen drinking party incident pleaded not guilty to new charges filed in December.

However, lawyers for Anthony Resetarits, 22, and Joseph Resetarits, 20, told Kenai Superior Court Judge Carl Bauman their clients would plead guilty at a combined change-of-plea and sentencing hearing to be held at 2:30 p.m. March 12 at the Homer Courthouse.

Although Anthony Resetarits’ lawyer had said earlier this month his client intended to plead guilty at the arraignment, Anchorage lawyer Phillip Weidner entered a not guilty plea for him on charges of first-degree hindering prosecution and tampering with felony evidence, both felonies, and second-degree harassment. Michael Moberly, the attorney for the younger brother, also entered a not guilty plea for second-degree harassment for his client. 

Normally in a felony case, a defendant would make a plea at an arraignment, a grand jury would then consider indicting, and if it did, the case would proceed to trial or a change of plea hearing. If the defendant pleaded guilty, there would then be a presentencing report and finally a sentencing hearing. 

Tuesday’s hearing and the March hearing compress most of that court action into two events, the arraignment hearing and the March change-of-plea and sentencing hearing.

Both defendants are now in Hawaii and attended the arraignment by phone. They said they will be physically present at the sentencing hearing. On behalf of the victims, and because of public and media interest in the case, assistant District Attorney Miovas, the Anchorage prosecutor now handling the case, asked that the sentencing hearing be held in Homer. The victim’s mother attended Tuesday’s arraignment telephonically and said she and her son intend to be in Homer for the sentencing.

At first, Bauman had planned to hold the hearing in April, but the victim’s mother spoke against that. 

“Honestly, this has been going on too long and April seems awfully far out,” she said. “I want this resolved now. We want this resolved. We were hoping in February.”

The defendants waived a reading of the information in the charges and Anthony Resetarits will waive an indictment on the felony charges. Weidner said the attorneys and Miovas have reached a plea agreement on the new charges, but there is an amendment to the information to be sent to Bauman before the sentencing. The defendants also will waive a presentencing review.

The Resetarits brothers had previously been indicted with second-degree sexual assault, but those charges were dismissed in August 2014 by Bauman after he ruled on a motion that the state provided insufficient evidence to support an indictment.

In charging documents filed in October 2012, Alaska State Troopers said that a teenage boy then 17 had been sexually assaulted with an object at a Sept. 8, 2012, party at an East End Road home. About 60 to 80 teenagers and young adults attended the party.

The victim had passed out drunk and had his head and eyebrows shaved, including an “M” for “Mariners” shaved into his hair. People also wrote on him with markers. In the December charging documents, prosecutors now allege that Anthony and Joseph Resetarits harassed the boy. 

At Tuesday’s arraignment, because there are new charges, Miovas asked about bail conditions. Weidner asked that the brothers be released on their own recognizance — that is, without bail. Miovas said he did not have any reason to think the brothers would not appear in court. Bauman set a $50,000 unsecured appearance bond. 

Under current Alaska Department of Law rules for plea agreements in serious cases, the judge has final authority on sentencing. Weidner said Anthony Resetarits is a commercial fisherman and he hoped that Bauman would not impose jail time.

Miovas had said earlier he did not anticipate jail time for Joseph Resetarits on the one misdemeanor harassment charge.

Michael Armstrong can be reached at michael.armstrong@homernews.com. Rashah McChesney can be reached at rashah.mcchesney@peninsulaclarion.com.

More in News

American flags fly on Sept. 11, 2020, in the park at the corner of Lake Street and the Homer Bypass Road in Homer, Alaska. Rotary Club of Homer Downtown places the flags every year to honor the people killed and injured in the events of Sept. 11, 2001. (Photo by Michael Armstrong/Homer News)
Remembering Sept. 11

Robert Purcell shares memories of the aftermath of 9/11 20 years later.

Homer High School. (Homer News file photo)
School announcements

School district risk level update and upcoming events

Visitors explore shops on the Homer Spit before the upcoming end of the season. (Photo by Sarah Knapp/Homer News)
Successful tourist season leaves businesses in need of rest

Many shops on the Spit close down after Labor Day.

A sign advertises free COVID-19 vaccines at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport on July 13, 2021, in Anchorage, Alaska. The state announced a new initiative that gives newly vaccinated Alaskans an opportunity to win $49,000. (Photo by Erin Thompson/Peninsula Clarion)
Newly vaccinated get chance to win cash

Incentive campaign to grant $49,000 cash and scholarship prizes to weekly winners

A sign flashing "Keep COVID down" also offers information on where to get testing and vaccines on Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021, on the Homer Spit in Homer, Alaska. (Photo by Michael Armstrong/Homer News)
Homer schools go to universal masking

Increase in COVID-19 cases prompts Homer schools to require universal masking until at least Sept. 21.

A sign in front of Kenai Middle School is seen on Sept. 2, 2021, in Kenai, Alaska. The school was one of more than a dozen Kenai Peninsula Borough School District schools operating with universal indoor masking due to rising COVID-19 cases. (Photo by Jeff Helminiak/Peninsula Clarion)
More schools go to universal indoor masking

More than 200 students have tested positive for COVID-19 since Aug. 23.

Most Read