Man injured in Spit stabbing; no charges filed

A fight on the Homer Spit about 1 p.m. Wednesday sent a man to South Peninsula Hospital with injuries from a stabbing. According to a press release from the Homer Police Department, the man had non-life threatening injuries.

Police received a call about 1:15 p.m. Aug. 9 of a fight in progress and responded with medics to the incident near the corner of Fish Dock Road and the Spit Road.

Homer Police Chief Mark Robl said the incident started when the man stabbed, a 29-year-old Seward man, got in a personal dispute with a 27-year-old California man on Fish Dock Road near the Homer Harbor. Four witnesses said the Seward man assaulted the California man, hitting him on the head and shoulders, Robl said. The California man tried to back away. He then pulled out a 3-inch folding pocket knife.

“He pulls out a knife and kind of wildly flails at him (the Seward man) and connects with the guy’s back,” Robl said. “That stops the fight and they walk away from each other.”

Police and Homer Volunteer Fire Department medics responded. The medics treated the Seward man for a puncture wound and took him to the hospital. Both men work in the fishing industry, Robl said.

Robl said police are still investigating the incident and will forward the case to the Kenai District Attorney’s Office for review.

“Some people will think what the guy (the California man) did was reasonable, and some might not,” he said. “We’re going to let the legal experts make the conclusion.”

In an assault, people have the right to defend themselves, Robl said.

“The law looks with great favor on those who try to defuse the situation and get out of it. He’s got those things going in his favor,” Robl said.

Homer Police Officer Ed Stading detained the California man briefly by handcuffing him and putting him in a patrol vehicle, but he was later released. No charges have been filed, Robl said. Robl said the man was legally detained for an official purpose. The California man provided police with contact information and an address and has been cooperative with police.

Michael Armstrong can be reached at