Anchor Point house fire still under investigation

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

The Thanksgiving Day house fire that claimed the life of one resident and sent another to Seattle for medical treatment is still under investigation by the Alaska State Fire Marshals. As of print time, no updates were reported and the names of the victims had not been released.

According to an Alaska State Troopers dispatch, troopers were alerted to a residential fire near Anchor Point around 7:10 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 25. Upon arrival, Troopers and Western Emergency Services firefighters found the house on Cloyds Road fully engulfed in fire. The first responders also received support from the Homer Volunteer Fire Department.

Western Emergency Services Deputy Chief Robert Mathis, who served as incident commander during the emergency, said the firefighters assessed the situation and quickly moved to put out the fire. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

“We got called out for the fire, and when we got there, the building was fully-involved. We made a defensive attack,” Mathis said.

Western Emergency Services responded with one engine, three fire tenders, an ambulance, two utility vehicles and a command center. Because of the weather and location of the fire, resupplying the engines and tenders with water became a challenge, Mathis said, but the fire was extinguished and responders left the property close to midnight.

“Just based on location, water supply (was a challenge) because it was right smack in the middle of the service area, and it was a challenge because water was being trucked in,” Mathis said. “Another thing that didn’t help getting to and from was the conditions of the road because it was snowing like crazy that night. … Everyone had to drive a little bit slower.”

The new water fill station, located at Resch Avenue, wasn’t ready for use at the time of the fire.

According to the dispatch, one of the house’s occupants was found dead inside while a second resident was found at a nearby residence and was later transported to Seattle for medical treatment. According to Tim DeSpain, Department of Public Safety public information officer, the victim’s condition is currently unknown. The victims’ next of kin have been notified, DeSpain said, but the identity of the casualty has not been determined by the State Medical Examiner’s office.

“There isn’t much more (information) beyond that at the moment because deputy fire marshals are actually on scene investigating the cause of the fire, so it’s an ongoing investigation,” DeSpain said.

Alaska State Fire Marshals are conducting the ongoing investigation and will provide more information as it becomes available.

Reach Sarah Knapp at