Randy Wiest, third from left, sets Kachemak Bay Running Club’s new timing clock at the start of a fun walk-run March 28.-Photo by McKibben Jackinsky, Homer News

Randy Wiest, third from left, sets Kachemak Bay Running Club’s new timing clock at the start of a fun walk-run March 28.-Photo by McKibben Jackinsky, Homer News

Running club times start-up of season

The Kachemak Bay Running Club unveiled its new timing clock Friday at the club’s annual membership meeting held at Beluga Lake Lodge. The clock was immediately put to use with a fun run and walk, followed by the meeting.

The club’s two biggest fundraisers — the annual Migration and Spit runs  — helped pay for the new equipment. 

“Roughly 25 percent of the revenue (of those runs) is club money. The other 75 percent is for youth sports and is funneled into high school and middle school events and Hershey Track and Field,” said former club president and current board member Bill Steyer.

Also new to the club this year is a chip timing system, paid with a $2,000 grant from the Homer Foundation. 

“That will be terrific. It will make things so much easier,” said Steyer.

The timing system also will be available for high school cross-country and other long-distance events.

At a membership meeting later this month, officers will be selected by the club’s board of directors. 

Information on Kachemak Bay Running Club can be found at kachemakbayrunningclub.org and on Facebook. 

Upcoming events include:

• May 11: 17th annual Migration Run, a USA Track and Field certified 5K event on Spit Trail. Entry fee is $20 for ages 18 and older, $15 for ages 10-17 and free for participants younger than age 10. The race begins at 9 a.m. at the Fishing Hole and is sponsored by the Homer Chamber of Commerce and the Kachemak Bay Running Club.

• June 28: Homer Spit Run, a USATF certified 10K course that begins at Homer High School and continues to the end of the Spit. Entry fee is $30 before June 20, $40 after June 20; children under the age of 10 are free. It is sponsored by South Peninsula Hospital, Homer Community Recreation, Homer News and Kachemak Bay
Running Club.

• Oct. 4: Run to the Altar, a half marathon that begins at Homer High School and ends on the Homer bluff. The 13.1-mile hilly course traverses a mixture of roads and trails. Start time for walkers is 9 a.m., for runners it is 10 a.m. There is no entry fee.

McKibben Jackinsky can be reached at mckibben.jackinsky@homernews.com.

More in Sports

Photo by Kris Inman 
A radio-tagged wolverine moves across the Greater Yellowstone.
Refuge Notebook: Wolverines show how knowledge leads to conservation

As I contemplated a topic for this week’s Refuge Notebook article, I… Continue reading

TSR
Kenai girls, Homer boys swimmers win Homer Invite

The Kenai girls and Homer boys won the Homer Invitational on Saturday… Continue reading

Carter Tennison scores a touchdown for the Homer Mariners against Kodiak High School on Saturday, Aug.28. The Mariners won 34-0. (Photo by Sarah Knapp/Homer News)
Houston football shuts out Homer

The host Houston football team defeated Homer 42-0 on Friday night in… Continue reading

Homer’s Frida Renner competes during the varsity girls race of the George Plumley Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021, at Palmer High School. (Photo by Jeremiah Bartz/Frontiersman)
Kenai runners lead area at Plumley Invite

West Valley senior Daniel Abromowicz and Chugiak junior Campbell Peterson won the… Continue reading

Lydia Jacoby of the United States swims in a heat during the women’s 100-meter breaststroke at the 2020 Summer Olympics, Sunday, July 25, 2021, in Tokyo, Japan. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)
Jacoby named to National Team

Seward senior Lydia Jacoby, 17, has been named to the 2021-22 National… Continue reading

tease
Results posted for The Gauntlet

The Gauntlet, the season-ending mountain bike event at Tsalteshi Trails, was held… Continue reading

Sports in brief

Football The Sept. 17 junior varsity football game vs. Kenai was canceled.… Continue reading

Photo by Kat Sorensen 
Fireweed in Seward, Alaska.
Tangled Up in Blue: Hand Dipped

The Lost Lake Run was a long one. I ran over 15… Continue reading

Michael, Sarah, Pete, Becky, Will and Margaret take a picture in front of Exit Glacier in Seward on Aug. 21.
Out of the Office: Finally feeling at home

Homer News reporter Sarah Knapp explores Alaska with Tennessee family.

Most Read